Friday, April 22, 2005

Deep Sleep Technique - Guest Article

This article courtesy of Global Light Reflections

Author: Dr. Carlos Orozco BSc, MSc, MD. Ph.D.. FLF, Postdoctoral Fellow., MAIM

This is a typical evening, the time on the clock is midnight, and I am about to go to sleep. I am going to take you through the wonderful world of dreams. In about five hours (5:00 a.m) I need to get up so that I can get ready to live and enjoy another wonderful day.

I take ten deep long breaths, and say after completing ten . . . "I am now sleeping."

How can that be possible? Can I really sleep for just five hours and then get up to enjoy another wonderful day and have a few dreams on the way?

Are you aware that your brain is keeping track of your sleeping pattern as well as your ability to dream throughout the night? Indeed it is, and let me show you how.

As I prepared to go to bed, my brain started to get ready to take me to the world of sleep. It recognized a few habits that I do routinely before going to bed. As you may have noticed, I took two deep long breaths as soon as I put my head in the pillow. By doing so, I lowered my brain frequency immediately. This allowed me to generate the first dream of the night, minutes after having closed my eyes.

This dream has to do with whatever activity I was involved with just before I went to bed. Many people read a book or watch TV before going to bed. So, this dream will continue the story. This is one of the many reasons why you should not go to sleep if you are angry, frustrated, or suffering from stress. More than likely, you will be awake all night, and the night could be very long. As my brain frequency keeps dropping to generate alpha waves, I reposition myself on the bed. In the vast majority of cases, most people adopt the fetal position at this stage.

As soon as the light of the room is turned off, my brain frequency keeps decreasing and starts generating theta waves. These theta waves are the waves of sleep. It takes another three to four hours to reach that point where the theta waves change into delta waves . . . the waves of deep sleep. During the theta and delta phases, I do not dream. I only dream while I am in the alpha state. In fact, my eyes move very rapidly when I am dreaming, this is called REM (rapid eye movement).

It is during deep sleep that my brain sends signals to my liver so that it can get to work. Why? Because I need to restore and rebuild the energy that I used the previous day . . . so that during the daytime I will be able to function.

By taking those ten breaths before going to sleep I have saved three hours, because it only will take 15 minutes to get to deep sleep.

Normally, It takes about three hours and thirty minutes to get to deep sleep, and we only stay there between 15 to 30 minutes. By doing the deep breathing exercise it only takes 15 minutes to get to deep sleep, and I can stay there for two to three hours, rather than just 15 to 30 minutes.

At this time my breathing pattern changes, and I tend to take deep, long breaths, hold them for a while, and then I breathe out slowly. Soon after I have been at deep sleep my brain frequency goes back to the alpha level flying through the delta state. An almost prophetic dream is generated at this time.

Many biblical characters, inventors, artists, writers, and scientists have been able to extract the information contained in this dream to find the right answer to a question they been asking, where no answer seems to be found in the so-called real world.

Allow me to give you some examples:
From the Bible we have the dream of Joseph when he correctly interpreted Pharaoh's dream and thus Egypt was able to prepare for and overcome what could have been a catastrophe.

Leonardo Da Vinci, designed the first airplane and the first submarine which were products of his dreams. Julius Verne, had a dream where he worked out the distance between the moon and the earth and wrote a book called A Voyage from the Earth to the Moon. In the same dream he predicted that rockets would take off from Cape Canaveral in Florida, long before this was the case.

I had a dream that saved a life while I was working at a hospital in Saudi Arabia. I dreamed that a woman having surgery had internal bleeding in the aorta. Because of the dream, I knew exactly where the bleed was and thus what to do. Thanks to the dream the woman lived.

We all have such dreams. This type of dream occurs every time we leave the deep sleep stage. Since we have recharged our batteries, there is no need to go back to the delta level.

The brain frequency slightly drops into the theta level where it stabilizes itself, for about an hour or so. Then the brain frequency rises again to generate alpha waves. Here we dream again, just before we are about to open our eyes. This is the dream that most people would remember.

The clock now shows 5:00 a.m. It is time to wake up. I moved back to laying down, take a long deep breath and I then get up. I have been asleep now for five hours and I am ready to start another wonderful day. I'm rejuvenated, I'm refreshed, and I'm excited. I had a dream!

As Walt Disney once said, "All dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."

No comments: