Saturday, May 21, 2005

Sleepis-Interruptis

It isn't that I haven't been dreaming lately. I've been dreaming a great deal. I'd say I've had a minimum of two dreams a night for the past week or so and most nights, more than that. The problem isn't that I'm not dreaming. The problem is that my cat is waking me up in mid-dream and then I can't remember the dream when I try to go back to it.

I keep telling myself he is training me, the cat. He's teaching me how to remember my dreams even if I am awakened before I complete all of them.

However, my first impulse is to get mad at him for waking me up and by the time I calm down enough to try to retrieve the dream, it has drifted away and all I can remember is that it was significant. arrrrgggggghhhh!

I ponder whether this pattern of waking me has to do with my recent decision to go to Sundance in Arizona. If you are unfamiliar with Sundance, it is a Native-American ceremony of prayer, visioning and great power. I have attended three Sundances and one Sun-Moon dance (just as powerful but very different). The last one I attended, I had such a profound connection with the Sundance Tree that I felt the ceremony was complete for me. I did not feel called to attend another until now.

I was sent a weblink and when I clicked over to the site, I began to weep even before reading much of what was there. I had a strong, strong connection with the man who the site was talking about. His name was Michael. He died in 2004. This man I had never met touched my heart as I read about his passing, in the shadow of the Sundance Tree during Sundance. If you want to read what I read, it is here

The reason I think my dreamtime training might have to do with going to that Sundance, the Sundance that would have been Michael's fourth, and will be mine, is that dreamtime gets intensified at Sundance but so do distractions such as noise, energy, and just plain exhaustion. Maybe Pooter (my Medicine Cat) is trying to get me ready for that time, so that I can hold on to the Medicine Dream messages that will most surely come.

In any case, I don't have any dreams to report on right now so I'll leave you with a brief article on the subject of attitude. It seems applicable to me as well, since my attitude on getting awakened needs to change so that I can remember my dream, instead of just getting mad at Pooter.

Snippet of Wisdom: I got this good advice from Vic Johnson, over at mp3 Motivators, a great site full of inspirational resources. I hope you enjoy it.

Several years ago a long-time friend of mine shared with me the following quote on Attitude that has been attributed to Pastor and Author Chuck Swindoll:

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you -- we are in charge of our Attitude."

No one I have ever met...and no teacher, speaker or author that I know of...personifies that quote better than my friend Jeff Keller. If your attitude could use a tune-up, I know you'll want to check this out.... Vic Johnson

No comments: